Custom applications in ThoughtFarmer behave exactly like regular cards and global cards. However, their code comes from a completely different source deployed as a sub-application. A custom sub-application can be added via IIS to your ThoughtFarmer instance. This application can be developed using any IIS supported technology; ASP.NET, .Net Core, or even PHP if you have the right plugins installed.
A custom application is suitable for a number of scenarios:
- Using the custom card model and the ThoughtFarmer Public REST API is not possible.
- The complexity of the customization is high.
- You wish to integrate with a 3rd party database.
- The customization requires server side code.
- You want to include the code into your own version control systems.
ThoughtFarmer user information and card configuration can be passed along to the sub-application. However, this will have to be carefully setup. You can use our example application as a template.