Cloud drive document libraries
When cloud drive integration is enabled, files and folders from cloud drives like Google Drive, OneDrive, SharePoint Online and Box can be linked to and embedded on intranet pages.
Linked cloud drive files display similarly to files that have been uploaded to the intranet. Clicking on a linked file opens the cloud drive file in the cloud drive format in a new tab, allowing for editing for users with edit permissions on the file. Embedded files allow users to view the file contents right from the intranet page. Clicking on the title of an embedded file will also open the cloud drive file in a new tab. Embedded folders allow users to view the contents of the folder without having to go to the cloud drive.
On the mobile app, embedded cloud drive files do not display the file contents on the intranet page. Rather, they appear as file titles/links under the heading Embedded files. Click on an embedded file title to view it, similar to a linked cloud drive file.
How to create a cloud drive document library
- Click Cloud drive.
- Select the desired cloud drive from the dropdown menu that opens. eg. Google Drive, OneDrive, SharePoint Online, Box. The Add files and folders window will appear.
- To find the file or folder you want to link to:
- In Google Drive, click on My Drive to open a dropdown menu where you can switch between viewing files in My Drive, Shared with me, Recents and Shared drives.
- Click on a folder name to expand it and view the contents. The path to your current location in the navigation will show as a breadcrumb at the top of the files. Click on sections of the breadcrumb to go back up the navigation.
- Alternatively, use the search bar to search for the file you want.
- Select the checkbox beside the file(s) or folder(s) to select it.
- Click Link to add the files or folders as document links in a document library. Click Embed to embed the files in the page (file and folder contents can be viewed on the intranet page).
How to link or embed files in an existing cloud drive library
Once a cloud drive has already been added, more files and folders can be added simply by clicking Add beside the Cloud Drive name. The Add files and folders window will appear and the instructions above (How to create a cloud drive document library) can be followed from Step 3 on.
If a file has been linked or embedded on a page, but has not been shared with a particular user, the user will see the message “File or folder unavailable. Learn more” where the file name would otherwise display. When the user clicks “Learn more”, they will be taken to the external cloud drive site to be provided with more information. The user may be able to request permission to have the file shared with them.
If you link or embed a file or folder that has not been shared with anyone else, it will display with a lock icon beside the file name. If you hover over the lock icon, it says “Private – only you can access”. Other users will not be able to access that file, and will see the message “File or folder unavailable. Learn more” where the file name would otherwise display.
File types that can be embedded
All Google file types can be embedded on intranet pages. Microsoft 365 file types that are supported for embedding are as follows: .doc, .docx, .xlsx, .ppt, .pptx, .rtf.
How to remove a linked or embedded file
- Navigate to the page with the linked or embedded file.
- Linked file: Hover over the linked file, click on the three dots icon ... that appears on the right, click Remove in the menu that appears.
- Embedded file: Click Remove in the top right of the embedded file.