You can use a Virtual Private Network (VPN) to allow users to access your network. Once they have logged in over VPN they can then access the intranet.
- This is the most secure method of opening up your intranet to external users.
- This does not require any architectural changes to your current server setup.
- If you are considering this as an option for mobile access please note that VPN support for mobile devices can have many limitations and issues. You will need to check with your network administrator about your network's current VPN and what mobile devices it does support.
- Multiple logins: users will first need to login through the VPN and then again to the intranet. Multiple logins is a major concern for user adoption.
- If you do not have a VPN setup already, then you will need to invest in the hardware/software necessary and configure this on your network.
Setting up a VPN Connection
VPN connections vary greatly based on the type of VPN hardware and software that your organization currently uses or chooses to purchase. Please contact your IT department about connecting to the network by VPN.