Use these instructions to add a hyperlink that shows up in the navigation on a page. These instructions also cover how to edit and delete links. Adding a link using the instructions below is very different from inserting a link in a page's contents, which you might do much more frequently.
When you add a link using these instructions the link shows up in the navigation of a page, just like a subpage would. However, the link is not a page, but instead redirects to another page somewhere else. You can add a link on any type of page.
Add a link that shows in the navigation of a page
- Navigate to the page where you want to add the link and click the Add button (plus icon) in the page header.
- Click on the Content type dropdown on the right and select the Link content type. (The Template Link will automatically be selected.)
- Type what you want the link text to be in the title box.
- Click the Link setup button on the left.
- Select the link you want using the instructions on how to insert links. Click Insert.
- (optional) If the link is added to a page that uses a Detailed Directory navigation Card, you can add a description of the link in the Summary box, and this will display below the link.
- Click Publish at the top right. The parent page will reload showing the link in the navigation.
Edit or delete a link in the navigation
Follow the instructions below if you need to change the title or address of a link you've added, or to delete the link.
- Navigate to the parent page on which the link shows.
- Click on the Edit icon next to the link.
- Change link name: Edit the Title field of the link and then click Save at the top of the page.
- Change link address: Click Edit link under the current link path or address and change the link, then click Save at the top of the page.
- To delete link: Click Delete link underneath the Save button. Then click Delete in the pop-up window to confirm the deletion.
To delete a top level link that shows in the Main Navigation Bar, navigate to any page other than the homepage. In the SuperNav on the left, click the down arrow beside the homepage title to show the homepage's subpages. The content link in the Main Navigation Bar will show as a subpage with a link icon to the left of the title. Click the edit icon on the right of the link to go into edit mode on the link content type. Click Delete link under the Save button and click Delete again to confirm that you want to delete the link.
Deleting a link from the navigation is different from deleting an actual page. (See complete instructions on how to delete a page.)
Move link to different part of navigation
Follow the instructions below if you need to move a link to a different page or section of the navigation.
- Navigate to the parent page on which the link lives.
- Hover over the icon next to the link in the navigation; it will turn into an Edit icon (a pencil). Click on the Edit icon.
- Click Move beside the link path above the page title. The Move pop-up window will open.
- Click on any page listed in the pop-up to move your link there.
- Click the triangle to the left of a page to show or hide its subpages and navigate through the pages.
- Click Done at the bottom of the pop-up window. The link path above the page title will show the new location of the link.
- Click Save in the top right.
Date options when adding link in blog, forum or news section
When you follow the above instructions to add a link to a blog, forum or news section the link will display just like any other post to that section. On the link editing screen you will see three options that do not appear when you add a link to other types of intranet pages.
- Sticky: Check this box to keep your new link at the top of the section. Edit the link and uncheck the box when the link is no longer relevant.
- Publish now: Click this to set the official publish time and date as the moment you click or Publish on the link page.
- Publish on: Use this to set a future date for the link to publish and show up at the top of the section, or to set a past date for a retroactive post.
Set a date to archive the link
Like other page types, you can set a date when the link will auto-archive. When the link archives, it will disappear from the view of any user who has archived content hidden. This feature is useful for adding a link that is relevant for only a limited period of time.
To add an archive date:
- In Edit mode on the link, click Set archive date in the Publishing options section on the right.
- In the calendar that appears, use the arrows on the left and right to navigate to the month you want, and click on the day that you want the content to archive.
- The date you have selected will show under the Archive date heading.
To edit the archive date, click on the date or the pencil icon on the right, find the new date in the calendar, and click on the date.
To remove the archive date, click the edit icon (a pencil) on the right of the archive date, and then click the garbage can icon that appears on the right.
For more information on archiving, see How to archive content.