How to set up News cards on group pages that feed into personalized homepages
Use these instructions to add News that comes from external websites or internal News, Blog, Forum or Calendar sections to a group page, and create new posts directly from a group page. News posted to the group page shows up in the personalized homepage News sections of all group members. Group members can even add posts directly from the homepage.
First, create or find relevant News or Blog sections
Before you can add News on a group page you need an existing News, Blog, Forum or Calendar page as a Source. You can create a new News, Blog, Forum or Calendar page as a subpage of the group page or find an existing News, Blog, Forum or Calendar page on your intranet. You can also find news feeds, blogs, or forums on external websites.
See complete instructions on how to add a blog or news page or how to add a forum page if you want to add a new page to your group page.
Add News on the group page
To have News on your group page, you need to bring it in from existing News, Blog, Forum or Calendar Sources. Group News added in any column on the group page will appear in the News Card on group members' homepages.
- Click the Edit button (pencil icon) in the page header on the group page to go into edit mode.
- Click Set up cards under the Content type & template heading on the right. The Update cards pop-up window will appear.
- Locate the News Card that you want to add News to in the window. It may be News: List View, News: Grid View, or News Carousel. It may be in the left, center or right column.
- Click on Set up below "News" or click the gear icon on the right of it. The News setup window will appear.
- To change the News Card title, click the pencil icon beside Recent News and enter the title you want in the text box. Click Save.
- To hide the News Card title, deselect the checkbox Display the title.
- To hide the Add Post and Manage News Feeds controls from viewers, deselect the checkbox Display the Add Post and Manage News Feeds controls.
- Select the radio button for the Display style that you want.
- Select the radio button for the Order that you want. Under the Order heading, select either the option to have Items grouped by source or to Merge sources to show newest item on top.
- If you select Items grouped by source posts will show up chronologically within grouped sections.
- If you select Merge sources to show newest item on top, all posts will show chronologically by post date.
- To add internal News Sources: In the text box under Add one of the following: start typing the name of a News, Blog, Forum or Calendar page on your intranet. Click on the page you want when it appears in the dropdown. Repeat to add more News Sources.
- For external News Sources: Copy the feed RSS URL from the external website, paste it in the text box under Add one of the following:, and click Add. Repeat to add more News Sources.
- If you selected Items grouped by source, next select the number of posts from each Source to display in the group page News.
- If you selected Merge sources to show newest item on top, next select from the dropdown list the total number of posts to display in the group page News.
- Select the checkbox Display titles only beside each Source if you want the News Card to show only titles, and no excerpts or summaries from the News posts.
- Click Update in the bottom right of the window.
Add a News Carousel on the group page
First follow steps 1 to 4 above under Add News on the group page, then continue with the steps below.
- Select the number of items to display in the carousel from the dropdown menu.
- Start typing the name of the News or Blog page on your intranet. Click on the Source you want when it appears in the dropdown. Repeat to add more News Sources.
- Click Update in the bottom right of the window.
- Click Done in the bottom right of the Update cards window.
- Click Save on the right of the page or continue editing.
If you cannot find a News Card in the Card setup window, see How to customize cards on a page.
Once you've completed these steps, check out how it works by going to your intranet homepage. Once on the intranet homepage, look through the main News for posts from News or Blog sections you've added to the group page.
Also, click Add post at the top of the homepage News and look for the names of the News or Blog Sources that feed into the group page. (Keep in mind, you must be a member of the group in order to see group News on your homepage, and you must have edit permission on the added News/Blogs/Forums in order to be able to add posts to them from your homepage.)
Users can control what groups they see news from
News from group pages automatically feeds into the homepage News of group members. However, group members can choose to opt out from seeing News from some or all of the groups that they belong to. Users cannot opt out of seeing other News that the administrator has added to the Homepage News Card.
To manage what groups you see News from on your homepage:
- Find the News Card in the main column or center column of your homepage. (Your homepage may have two or three columns.)
- Click on the Newspaper icon at the top right of the News Card.
- Click Manage News Feed in the menu that appears.
- Uncheck the boxes for the groups whose News you do not want to see. Leave boxes checked for groups whose News you want to see.
- Click Save.
You can use the "Manage News Feed" menu at any time to change which of your groups you will see News from on your homepage.
Click "Add post" on group page News
Once you've added News to the group page you can create new posts from the group page with just a few clicks.
If only one internal section feeds into the group News then simply click Add post beside Recent News in the News Card. This will open a new post for editing in that News, Blog, Forum or Calendar section.
If two or more internal sections feed into the group news feed then click Add post beside Recent News in the News Card, and click on the Source you want to post to in the dropdown menu that appears. This will open a new page for editing in that News, Blog, Forum or Calendar section.
Once you save the new post it will show in the section you added it to, in the group News, and in the homepage News section of all group members.
Click "Add post" on homepage News
Once you've added News to the group page you can create new posts directly from the homepage with just a few clicks.
- Navigate to the intranet homepage.
- Click the Add post button beside Recent News in the News Card.
- Click on the Source you want to post to in the dropdown menu that appears. This will open a new page for editing in the News, Blog, Forum or Calendar section.
- Write your new post and then click Publish. Once you save the post it will show in the section you added it to, in the group News, and in the homepage News section of all group members.
Check security settings on News sections
If you or other group members don't see the option to add posts to sections that feed into the group page, check the security settings on those sections. All group members' names, or a security profile that includes a list of all group members must have View & edit permissions. (See complete instructions on how to change permissions to view & edit.)