How to replace a file with a newer versionUse these instructions to replace a file with a newer version. Don't delete that file! Instead, replace an existing file on your intranet with a new version. It takes just a few clicks and the intranet will keep an easy-to-access list of all past file versions. At any time you can view a past version or revert back to a previous file version.
Click "Replace" in the File Controls
- Click on the down arrow on the far right of the file name to open the File Controls.
- Click Replace. The Replace file pop-up window will appear.
- Click Browse to locate the new file on your computer. (Or drag and drop a file into the Drop files here to add area.)
- Select a file and click Open.
- Click Upload in the pop-up window. The page will refresh to show the new file.
Comments show file versionOnce multiple versions of a file exist, comments on the file will show what version of the file the comment relates to. This version indicator appears below the comment in file preview and on the file page.
Hot intranet tip!
Never delete if you can replaceYour ThoughtFarmer intranet uses a special method for creating URLs (web addresses) for pages and files. Each page and file has a permanent URL that doesn't change when the page is renamed or moved. This means any links to that page will still work no matter what changes are made to the page.
If you delete an existing file and then upload a new one, any links to the original file will be broken. Instead, replace the file with the new version. Now any links on the intranet or in emails that link to that file will still work and people will see the newest version of the file.