How to add a gallery page for images
Use these instructions to create a photo gallery and fill it with image files. With just a click transform a basic page on your ThoughtFarmer intranet into a gallery that showcases images. You can click on a photo to see a larger version of it and to scroll from one photo to the next.
First add a new page
- Navigate to where you want to create the new page and click the Add button (plus icon) in the header.
- Give the page a clear title. It's a good bet to include "gallery" or "photos" in the page title.
- Example: Photos of ThoughtSummit 2017.
- Click on the Content type dropdown on the right and select the Photo gallery content type. (The Template Photo gallery will automatically be selected.)
- Click on Security permissions on the right under Security and make sure all the right people have edit permission on the page. (See complete instructions on how to change permissions to view & edit.) Click Done when you are finished.
- Add content in the Rich Text Editor if you want any text to appear on the Photo gallery page.
- Click Publish and your Gallery page will appear, ready for images to be added.
Adding photos to a gallery is similar to attaching files on a page.
- Click Add images above any images already on the gallery page.
- Click Browse to locate image files on your computer (common image file extensions: JPEG, PNG, GIF), or drag files and drop them in the Drop files here to add area.
- Select the photo(s) you want to upload and click Open in the file browsing window. Wait a moment while the picture(s) uploads. The images will appear on the gallery page.
Change photo title
- Click on the photo to go into Image Preview.
- Click the edit icon (a pencil) beside the file title.
- Type the new title and click the checkmark on the right of the title.
If you want to change the file title for multiple languages, you must go into edit mode on the file page.
Note that the photo file name can be different than the photo title. The photo title is the File Page title and the name that shows up in Image Preview. The photo file name is used when downloading the file or opening it for editing on your computer.
Reorder images on a gallery page
On a photo gallery page with attached images, you can reorder the images in various ways.
- Click the down arrow on the right of the page header to open the Page Controls.
- Click Reorder images. The Reorder images pop-up window will appear.
- Reorder the images using these options:
- Click on the image/title to drag-and-drop the images into the order you want, or
- Click on the current sort order beside Reorder by at the top of the window, and select a new sort order. You can sort by Title, Date uploaded or Date taken. Click the arrow beside the sort order to reverse the order, or
- Hover over an image in the list, click on the three dots on the right and select Move to the top or Move to the bottom for that image.
- Click Save at the bottom of the window.
Delete images from a photo gallery
Images on photo gallery pages are just attached files that are displayed in a different way than on other page types. So deleting an image in a photo gallery is different from deleting an image on a page. To delete an image from a photo gallery:
- Go to the photo gallery page.
- Click Gallery tools at the top right of the gallery. The gallery toolbar will appear at the top of the gallery.
- Click on a photo (or multiple photos) to select it. A checkmark will appear in the bottom right of selected photos. (Or click Select all in the gallery actions bar to select all the photos in the gallery.)
- Click Delete in the gallery toolbar.
- Click Delete in the pop-up window to confirm the deletion.
Show a collection of gallery photos on another page
You can display a selection of photos from a gallery in a Card on another page. To learn more see How to set up a Photo collection Card.
Hot intranet tips!
#1: Use arrow keys to scroll between photos
When you click on an image in gallery view to see the larger Image Preview, use the right and left arrow keys on your keyboard for easy scrolling through photos. No need to click the arrows beside the image on your screen, but you still can if you want!
#2: Create a gallery with several sections
The first time you create a gallery you'll be surprised at how cool it is. But you should plan for the future. Maybe right now you only have a few photos to upload, but soon you'll have photos on different topics, from different company events, etc. So get ahead of the game by creating a gallery with several sub-sections, similar to folders (but much cooler of course!).
- Create a main photo landing page, under which you will add many different photo galleries.
- Choose the Section content type, and choose the Grid Template if you want each photo gallery subpage to be represented by a photo.
- Publish the page.
- Add subpages for each event or category of photos to the main photo landing page. Choose the Photo gallery content type on each subpage.
- Upload your event or category photos on the respective Photo gallery pages.
When you're done you'll have a landing page for all your photos. Visitors can see what galleries are available with a glance at the thumbnails on the Grid section, and then click a thumbnail to browse through your photo gallery.