Admins can choose whether words will be broken with hyphenation for line-wrapping on the intranet, or whether lines will only wrap at whitespace (no hyphenation). It is also possible to allow users to specify where a word can be hyphenated if needed.
Hyphenation is controlled by a configuration setting. The possible values for this setting are:
- None: Words will not be hyphenated.
- Manual: (Default setting) Words are not hyphenated unless a user inserts the hidden character code ­ to show where a word can be hyphenated if needed.
- Auto: Words are hyphenated automatically if needed.
By default, the hyphenation config setting is set to manual, which means that words are not hyphenated unless,
- a user inserts the hidden character code ­ in the Source tab of the Rich Text Editor, and
- the word needs to be hyphenated because it is displaying at a line break.
The ­ character specifies where a word can be hyphenated if needed, but no hyphen displays if the word does not need to be hyphenated.
For more information about specifying how words should be hyphenated, see this page explaining the hyphens CSS property.
To change this setting:
- Go to the Admin panel: Advanced section > Configuration settings page.
- Type display in the Search config settings field to narrow the config settings results.
- Find the config setting:
- Click in the Value column beside the config setting, and enter the desired value: None, Manual, or Auto (see definitions above).
- Click Save.
After changing this config setting, the intranet theme will automatically be rebuilt, which should take a minute or less. The hyphenation setting change will be visible when the theme rebuild is complete.