What is a shared calendar?
A shared calendar is a master calendar page that displays events from multiple independent calendar pages - several calendars combined into one. On the shared calendar, you can choose to view events in different ways - by showing or hiding specific event types or all events from one of the combined calendars. Only those with edit permission on the shared calendar can add new calendars to it. The primary calendar is the original calendar that has other calendars added to it to create a shared calendar.
Why create a shared calendar?
Different areas of your organization may use different intranet calendars to schedule and coordinate meetings, events and vacations. If all the events in your organization were on one calendar, it would likely be convoluted and confusing, but combining a few calendars to get an overall view of what is happening in a department or project can be quite useful. Shared calendars can assist in team coordination and prevent double-booking.
Create a shared calendar
You need edit permission on the primary calendar to be able to make it into a shared calendar.
- Add a new calendar and save it, or navigate to the calendar you want to make into a shared calendar.
- On the left of the calendar below the SuperNav, click on Add calendar.
- In the Add calendar box that appears, start typing the name of the calendar you want to add.
- A dropdown list of calendars will appear, click on the calendar that you want to add. The calendar name will appear under the Calendars heading, and events from that calendar will appear on the shared calendar.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 to add more calendars to the shared calendar.
Hide/show calendars and events
While viewing a shared calendar, you can hide specific types of events, or all events from a particular calendar. (Hidden events don't disappear altogether, but are faded so that they don't stand out on the calendar.) The left hand column of a shared calendar will display the different calendars and the different event types that are on the shared calendar. Different event types show as different colours, and have their own unique event type icons.
To toggle whether a calendar or event type is shown or hidden, select or deselect the checkbox beside the calendar or event type name in the left column. The events that you hide will be "whited out" on the calendar - they show faded out so that the remaining events are more prominent. You can also highlight the events from a particular calendar or event type by hovering your cursor over the calendar title or event type name.
Add event on a shared calendar
Creating an event on a shared calendar by clicking on the event date will allow you to add an event to any of the displayed calendars on which you have edit permission. If you click the Add button on a shared calendar, the event will be added to the primary calendar.
- Click on the new event date and/or time on the shared calendar. (If you are viewing the calendar in list view, switch to a different view in the top right to be able to click on the date and/or time.)
- In the Add event pop-up window, select the calendar you want to add the event to from the Calendar dropdown. The default selection will be the primary calendar.
- Continue as if adding an event to any calendar page. (See how to add calendar and event pages.)
Edit an event on a shared calendar
There are two ways to edit an event:
- Method 1: Hover your cursor over the event until an event details pop-up appears - click Edit event in the top right.
- Method 2: Click on the event to go to the event page. Click Edit in the top right.
Delete an event on a shared calendar
There are two ways to delete an event:
- Method 1: Hover your cursor over the event until an event details pop-up appears - click Delete in the bottom right.
- Method 2: Click on the event to go to the event page. Click the down arrow in the page header to open the Page Controls. Click Delete.