Videos are a must-have media format when building out content for your intranet. ThoughtFarmer offers a number of ways to embed video and this section will guide you through the supported options for using external services, or hosting your video right from your intranet.
Embed video hosted in ThoughtFarmer
If your video is in a supported format (see Video formats and conversion), then you can upload and preview your video automatically. Additionally, these supported file types will give you embed code right from the document landing page. This code can be used in any ThoughtFarmer page using the "Insert code" tool to add the video in a player.
Supported file types:
- MP4 (recommended)
To embed the video simply follow these steps:
- Compress your video: Before uploading a video to ThoughtFarmer please compress it to a format that is suitable for web viewing. You can use opensource tools like Handbrake for this purpose. Please read this Handbrake Quick Start doc for help on how to use this software. We recommend using the preset 'Vimeo YouTube 720p30' for an optimized viewing experience.
- Upload your video: On any ThoughtFarmer page that supports file uploads simply add the compressed video file as you would any attachment. For details, see Attach and reorder files.
- Grab the embed code: Visit the document landing page for the video. From a document library just click the name of the file and select Go to file. From here you will see the video details, a preview for the video and the embed code below that. Click the button Show embed code to display the code, then copy it.
- Edit the destination page: On the page you wish to embed the video click Edit. Move your cursor to the location where you wish the video to show. Use the Insert code button and paste the embed code in the pop-up window. Click the Insert button in the pop-up window.
- Click Save. The video will now show on the page.
Video Thumbnail image
See Add a video thumbnail image to learn how to choose the image that displays for an embedded video.